Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the New West Farmers Market will be operating in a limited capacity to ensure safe access to local food sources in our community.
Now more than ever we are relying on local food supply for food security to work in tandem with larger grocery stores and serve the public need.
The Provincial Government has listed farmers’ markets as an essential service under their List of COVID-19 Essential Services.
We have full support and backing from the BC Centre for Disease Control, Fraser Health and the City of New Westminster to proceed with the Farmers Market, albeit in a much more regulated setting.
We are working closely with Fraser Health to ensure a safe market environment. Some of the guidelines include:
- Fencing to allow entrance from one side only
- Carefully managed entrance and exit to limit number of shoppers
- Limited to food and beverage vendors only
- No sampling, musicians, demonstrations or craft tables
- Hand washing stations will be provided
- Cashless transactions only
We want to keep people in our community safe while also providing them access to local food during this difficult time.
New West Farmers Market Board of Directors