We’re hiring for an Assistant Market Manager!
New West Farmers Market Society is a fun and community-centred organization that operates a Thursday farmers market from March to November and a Holiday Market in December around New West City Hall. We focus on environmentally sustainable food production by bringing locally grown and produced foods to the community, thereby contributing to local economic development, healthy eating, and food security while connecting with our heritage of having a vibrant city market. We pride ourselves on creating a community hub that offers children’s programming, live music, workshops, and more alongside our local vendors.
Join our team!
POSITION TYPE: Permanent Part-time (18 hours per week), flexible office and work from home hours, mandatory Thursday markets from March to November, and Holiday Market in December.
REMUNERATION: $25/hr and health-care spending account
Reporting to the Market Manager, the primary purpose of the Market Assistant Manager is to provide administrative support for the New Westminster Farmers’ Market (NWFM) and the Market Manager, as well as attend the market each week to ensure its smooth operation. This position will also supervise volunteers, summer hires through the Canada Summer Job Grant, including recruiting, scheduling, training, and ongoing support, as well as act on the Market Manager’s behalf in their absence. This position will also manage social media and newsletters for the organization.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Administrative Support (many duties are seasonal)
- Create, design, write and post promotional material for social media platforms, such as posts, vendor features, and event and workshop listings
- Assist with the maintenance of NWFM’s website and social media platforms
- Composes and distribute weekly market newsletter
- Assist with invoicing of market vendors
- Assist with the planning and execution of the market
- Organize activities and educational initiatives to be held at the market and beyond
- Develop, plan, and implement special events and workshops
- Assist with coordinating and recruiting weekly entertainers and community groups
- Manage the volunteer program
- Manage membership program
- Assist with fulfilling supply needs for the market, including but not limited to, market materials, workshop supplies, and other items, as needed
- Assist with end-of-season market wind down, clean-up, and reconciliation
- Assist with hiring of summer students and/or practicum students, as needed
- Assist with planning and executing Holiday Market in December
- In the absence of the Market Manager, act as the point of contact for City of New Westminster and emergency personnel and oversee market operations
- In the absence of the Market Manager, become Acting Manager at the Market on Thursdays
- Other duties as they arise
- Between March and November, attend weekly markets (approximately 12:30 to 8:30 pm)
- Attend Holiday Market, one weekend in December (approximately 7:30am-5:30pm)
- Oversee the timely and safe set-up and take-down of all market materials, including but not limited to signage, tents, tables, chairs, garbage cans, and decorative items
- Support vendors with timely and safe set-up and take-down of their stalls
- Supervise on-site volunteers/summer students/practicum students, including assigning roles, training, and providing ongoing guidance and support
- Manage community groups and entertainers
- Respond to public, vendor, and volunteer/summer student/practicum student inquiries and concerns in a positive manner, directing them to the Market Manager as needed
- Provide information to shoppers and vendors on food advocacy, market operations, and membership
- Process membership fees, market-money, and other purchases
- Oversee market-day data collection, including customer counts
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in event planning, social media, or related field
- Combination of relevant experience, education, and training will be considered
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with the community in a social setting
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift up to 55lbs (25kg)
- Proven time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to utilize, adapt and embrace technologies, including Quickbooks, Google Suite, Canva, Mailerlite, web and social media platforms, and other database/software required by the role
- Experience and/or an interest in the local food movement, food security, and community, an asset
- Familiarity with New Westminster, an asset
- Experience or familiarity with the not-for-profit sector, an asset
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to help ensure the efficient operation of the New Westminster Farmers Market.
- There may be a need to attend community festivals and events which may require work and travel outside of the regular position hours.
- No criminal record.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license and access to a reliable personal vehicle for work purposes would be an asset.
WHEN AND HOW TO APPLY
Deadline: 4pm Friday, September 29th, 2023
Please send a cover letter and resume (in PDF format) with the subject line “Assistant Market Manager Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that interviews may be conducted during the recruitment period and only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. NWFM is committed to be an equitable and inclusive employer with our hiring practices and organizational culture. We encourage applicants with diverse backgrounds, communities and lived experiences to apply. Thank you very much for your interest in New West Farmers Market.