New West Farmers Market Snow Cancellation Policy
In recent years our Winter Market on Belmont St. has faced challenges with winter weather. This includes heavy snow, ice accumulation, and below average temperatures. We have had to occasionally cancel market days due to these circumstances. This document aims to formalize our Snow Cancellation Policy.
Cancellation of a Winter Market day will be done as a last resort and will likely happen due to circumstances out of our control. Because the Winter Market is held on a public street we have to take direction from city staff if they deem the street to be unsafe. As much as we do not want to cancel a Winter Market, we must ensure the safety of our shoppers, vendors, volunteers, and staff.
Notice of Cancellation
The decision to cancel a market day is made after considering:
- Condition of the site on Belmont Street
- Weather forecast in the 24 hours leading up to the market day
- The ability of City Staff to clear the street of snow and ice
- The ability of vendors to travel to New Westminster
The Notice of Cancellation will be made by 9:00pm the night before the Saturday Market.
Vendor Contact in Case of Cancellation
Vendor notice will proceed in the following order:
- Vendors will be notified via email at the moment cancellation is called. An email receipt will be requested. If email is acknowledged, no further correspondence will be given.
- If no email receipt is received, vendors will be contacted by phone.
- Notice of cancellation will be posted on www.newwestfarmers.ca
- Notice will be made on social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Notice will be sent out to New West Farmers Market mailing list.
- If any vendors have not been contacted, a Market representative will be on site at the start of set-up time for one hour to redirect vendors.
Vendors will be issued a refund for any stall fees they have prepaid if a Winter Market day is cancelled due to extreme winter weather. The Market Manager will contact those vendors affecte to arrange a credit or a refund.