In June of this year, long time market supporter and vendor, Ilona Schachner, passed away after a battle with cancer. Ilona was well known for her authentic Viennese delicacies like strudels and meringues. But many people were unaware of Ilona’s amazing contribution to the foundation of RCFM. When the first rumblings of organization started up in 06/07 here in New Westminster, board president Andrew Murray approached Ilona about coming on board as a vendor, and soon she was helping lay the groundwork for a successful market in general.
Ilona provided wise guidance and solid, realistic advice. She and another local vendor, Laila Axen from Arila Apiary, would go to other farmers markets and encourage vendors to give us a try. She believed in what we were trying to do and her knowledge was contagious. Without Ilona’s tireless efforts, RCFM would not be what it is today. We simply would not have had the amazing support and foundation in the early days without her.
This week’s market is a celebration of Ilona Schachner and what she brought to the market both as a vendor and as a part of the organization. We’ll be erecting a tent in her honour, and encourage you to share your memories of Ilona. We’ll also be collecting donations and will forward them to the Canadian Cancer Society in her name. This special market is not a sad occasion. While we were stunned when Ilona passed, we will remember her for her delicious baking, her wit, and most of all, her valuable contribution to creating the community we are today. Please join us at the market this week and enjoy in her memory.
Music, sponsored by our friends at the Heritage Grill (where there’s live jazz, blues, folk, Latin, and funk 7 days a week!):
- Tim Lambert 3-5pm
- Ron Ulrich 5-7pm
Vendors This Week : (not all vendors come to every market, so check this list if you’re looking for someone special – they are arranged categorically. Want a complete listing of all the vendors, even the ones not here this week? Here it is!)
Eat On Site
- Copeland Foods – hot vegetarian samosas, as well as frozen take home meat pies and ready-to-eat dinners
- Creperie La Boheme – Mouthwatering crepes!
- Gogo Java – Coffee, tea, smoothies, juice, and other liquids
- Lamington Heritage Farms – lamb kebabs as well as grilled lamb sausages on a bun. Plus, frozen cuts of lamb and duck, as well as fresh chicken eggs.
- Maluma Health Foods – Bison hot dogs, bison smokies, bison chili and bison ribs and take home packages too!
- Westvan Foods – Hot tasty local roasted corn!
- Apple Barn Pumpkin Farm – Peppers, tomatoes, apples & pumpkins
- Celyddon Farms – Certified organic produce from Delta
- Forstbauer Family Natural Food Farm – organic produce, eggs, and beef
- Glen Valley Organic Farm – certified organic produce from a farm located only 50km from New Westminster
- Golden West Farms – Okanagan fruit grown in Summerland, many certified organic
- Maan Farms – assorted locally grown produce
- Misty Mountain Specialties – fresh wild and cultivated mushrooms, dried mushroom products
- Nature Village Farm – Asian produce grown in Richmond
- Red Barn Plants and Produce – assorted locally grown produce
- Little Qualicum Cheeseworks – High quality cheese from Vancouver Island
Meat & Fish
Bread & Baking
- A Bread Affair – Breads
- Blackberry Hill – Baked Goods
- Eat It Up – Gluten free and no-sugar-added fruit pies, cookies and green tea
- Sunrise Pita Company – pitas, chips, dips, and banana bread
- Ace Curries To Go – curry sauces
- AJI Gourmet Products – sauces made using aji spice
- Amber’s Choice – baked madeleines, soups, salad dressing
- Anne’s Gallery – Jams, jellies & knitting
- Con Amore Foods – handmade fresh pasta and vegan spreads and dips
- Gary’s Kettlecorn – Kettlecorn
- Jane’s Honey Bees – honey and other bee products
- Maples’ Sugar Shack – maple syrup products
- Simply Delish Soup Co – layered soup mix, rice pilaf mix, and spice rubs
- Black Bamboo Artisans – hand made glazed pottery and knitting
- Diva Dawg Clothing Company – dog clothing and accessories, altered art bracelets for humans
- Ildiko Jewelry– hand forged sterling silver jewelry
- Lesley and Brenda – assorted knitting, beaded items, and other hand made goods
- The Other Eden – cold process soaps scented with essential and fragrance oils, room sprays, body products
- Trevor Cooper – West Coast fine photography
- Secret Garden – cut flowers