The Royal City Farmers Market (RCFM) is a mid-sized, well-established farmers market in New Westminster, B.C. that operates outdoors year-round. RCFM will be entering its tenth year of operation in 2017. It is a member of the B.C. Association of Farmers Markets and registered as B.C. non-profit society. RCFM has an active seven member board of directors, as well as operational staff and a number of dedicated volunteers.
We seek a qualified candidate to join our organization and act as a communications and marketing coordinator. This is a paid, contract position.
- Plan and deploy social media engagement on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, any other emerging platforms, and write for our blog, which features a weekly market preview post and various educational articles
- Generate press releases as required by the board (usually one per quarter, occasionally more)
- Perform basic market research and develop a good understanding of current customers, competitors and target audience
- Work with committee members and a contract graphic designer to develop assets; collaborate with operations manager
- Refine and maintain organization’s brand identity, including style guidelines
- Possibly work with a student practicum placement for the summer
- Additional duties and tasks may be assigned as needed
The work is somewhat seasonal though the expectation is that the monthly contract amount would stay the same, however the duties may change. The market from mid-May to the first week of October is weekly and from November to early April it is twice per month. During the winter months, we expect the contractor to spend more time on asset development, analysis and planning, and preparation for the busier summer months, and then switch to a more implementation-focused list of tasks in the summer.
Although a presence at the market for the entire duration of the market is not required, there is value in attending each market to snap pictures and connect with vendors for website features for a limited time. Our markets are currently Thursdays from 3pm-7pm at Tipperary Park in the summer and Saturdays 11am-3pm on Belmont Street in the winter.
Experience in all established social media channels as well as an interest in emerging channels is an asset. Writing clean copy that reflects the market’s brand is also essential.
Other valuable assets for this role: experience writing online, photography experience, an interest in farmers market and food culture, understanding and knowledge of New Westminster as a community.
To apply, submit a proposal or cover letter/resume that outlines: monthly fees, previous experience, and interest in the position to email@example.com. Deadline: September 1, 2016.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.