There are only two winter markets left this season and March 3 is coming up fast! This month we are celebrating new beginnings because spring is in the air, and our friend the groundhog has predicted it will be here soon! (well, I guess that depends which groundhog you listen to). No matter, our farmer friends are already busy in preparation of a long growing season and many are starting the work in cold frames and greenhouses.
We here at the market have started the work for summer, including seeking new vendors and also seeking a new Operations Manager. Check out the links if you’re interested.
But that doesn’t mean we aren’t excited for the last two winter markets! We are pleased this month to have Pretty Up Parties returning as our kids activity sponsor in front of the circus school, and Melissa has a really fun craft planned. We will also have balloon artist Kemal upstairs for your entertainment, and our musical guest this month is Karla Sleightholme, a jazz sax player. We are also happy to be supporting the community group this month. Lunchgroup Heavy Industries, a fun team fundraising and riding in the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer (and their team captain happens to be a former board member). The community group area is located upstairs near the escalator.
Don’t forget to check out the vendors outdoors – both on the patio on the riverside and on the west end of the market. We’ve got a few new ones this month we think you’ll really like.
You can reach the market on foot via McInnes Street, Begbie Street or via the overhead walkway from Hyack Square at the foot of 8th Street. There is a bike rack on the south west end of the market. Free parking is available courtesy of the City of New Westminster on the B deck of the downtown waterfront parkade. You can enter it via McKenzie, 6th, or 4th Streets. Park on the B deck, at the southwest end and use the stairs to access Quayside Drive. And pay parking is available to the west and east of River Market for $1.50 for 2 hours.
The market takes place inside (both upstairs and downstairs) and outside (on the patio and on the west end). There are lots of yummy hot food choices as well as amazing handmade crafts, prepared delicacies, and produce – yes! Produce. Here’s what’s in season right now.
Here are the vendors confirmed. Stop by the RCFM info booth if you need help finding a specific vendor’s location. Please note not all vendors come to every market, so to stay up to date, subscribe using www.mymarketsnews.com – we’ll send you a reminder a few days before the market with a list of whose signed up to come.
Here’s who is slated for this Saturday (current as of February 27):
Eat On Site
- Gina’s Greek Food Catering – delicious Greek food ready to eat
- Ovenmonkey Bakery – selling fresh Langos – Hungarian fried flatbread
- Pazzarella Auto Pizzeria – wood fired oven baked pizza
- Re-Up BBQ – southern pulled pork, beef brisket, lemonade, sweet tea, and bacon!
- Samosa Guy – hot vegetarian samosas and pakoras, as well as frozen take home samosas
- Forstbauer Family Natural Food Farm – organic produce, eggs, and beef
- Golden West Farms – Okanagan fruit grown in Summerland, many certified organic
- Greendale Herb and Vine – Cheddar cheese, cheese curds, herbs, nut butters and honeycomb
Meat & Fish
- Outwest Ranches – beef raised locally and fresh eggs
- Port Hardy Seafood – BC caught fish and prawns
- Rockweld Farm – BC frozen chicken and chicken products including eggs
Bread & Baking
- A Bread Affair – Breads
- Blackberry Hill – squares, cinnamon buns, and old fashioned yummies like crisp rice squares
- French Made Baking – French-from-France baking.
- Sweet Thea Cake Company – tarts, pies, cookies, and cakes
Delectable Treats and Prepared Yummies
- AJI Gourmet Products – sauces made using aji spice
- Anne’s Gallery – Jams, jellies & knitting
- Dundarave Olive Company – unique olive products
- Gourmet Savories – antipasto and pesto
- Momma Nellie’s Goodies – Salsa, crisps, and cranberry jelly
- Rascal’s Goodies – flavoured popcorns and old fashioned candies
- Simply Delish Soup Co – layered soup mix, rice pilaf mix, and spice rubs
- TK Chocolates – small batch flavoured chocolates
- Dingolay Glass Creations – African and Caribbean fused glass jewelry
- Gracious Gowns and Gifts – custom and unique beautiful hospital gowns
- Jolene’s Handmade Soap – cold process soaps coloured with spices
- My Secret Cravings – miniature food inspired polymer clay jewelry
- Pretty Up Parties – upcycled and unique craft supplies
- Quality Oak Accents – Fine wood creations
- Scentimental Creations – Soaps, lotions, hand made cosmetics