It’s spring cleaning time and, lo and behold, your freezer is in demand for some serious de-icing. I was scrounging through mine when I came across a bag of of frozen blueberries from last season: perfect for an afternoon snack… Or some afternoon baking. This modified recipe from Simply Recipes is quick and delicious. It was a definite hit in my household!
Ingredients (makes 18 regular sized muffins)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup of butter, soft
3 tablespoons bran (optional)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup yogurt (for added flavour, I used vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
1 1/2 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
2. In a medium bowl, mix all the dry ingredients except for the sugar together and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
4. Add eggs and lemon peel and mix thoroughly.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients, then half of the
yogurt, then the rest of the dry ingredients and
the rest of the yogurt to the wet ingredients.
7. Spoon into greased muffin pan (or muffin cups, as I’ve done).
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
These muffins turn out light, moist and super flavourful. I could definitely taste the vanilla and lemon, adding a nice change up to traditional blueberry muffins. Enjoy your afternoon snack!