Why Volunteer with NWFM?
Working for an organization such as this shows not only the market, but the community that you support local farming practices and that you support “the little guy.”
If you are interested in volunteering your skills to help make this market the best it can be then please fill in our volunteer form and we will get right back to you! We truly value the contribution our volunteers offer us, and could not do it without them!
Questions about volunteering? Please contact us!
Set Up Crew
- Place temporary signs around the market area
- Assist with moving tents, tables and equipment from trailer to locations around the market
- Assist Vendors with setting up tents, unloading vehicles, and setting up their stalls, transporting equipment to stall site
- Set up NWFM’s Information booth (including counting the float and setting out promotional materials)
- Set up signs, tables, garbage cans, etc.
- Volunteers need to be able to lift boxes, carry heavy things, and assist vendors
Vendor Parking Coordinator
- Inform vendors of parking protocol
- Use map provided to direct arriving vendors to their market stall location
(3pm – 7pm)
- Answer questions, process minor cash transactions and promote the market. This is our most popular volunteer placement, and spaces fill up fast.
- Sell any applicable market merchandise
(3pm – 7pm)
Offer breaks to vendors to enable them to use have a grab a bite to eat, use the washroom etc. This involves simply standing at the stall and informing customers that the vendor will return shortly, or if the vendor wishes and the volunteer has cash experience, the volunteer can process sales on behalf of the vendor.
(3pm – 7pm)
- Run surveys, take photos, run kids craft table etc. These tasks are not at every market.
Market Tear Down
(7pm – 8pm)
- Retrieve the signs which were erected in the morning and store in storage room
- Pack up the Information booth carefully in the tote boxes and disassemble the tables and tents
- Assist vendors with taking down tents, transporting equipment and loading up vehicles
Non-Market Days (Community Outreach)
(1–3 hours a week commitment)
In order to keep our website updated, relevant and full of great info, NWFM tries to blog regularly – choosing topics such as recipes, advice about choosing seasonal foods, volunteer experiences, market vignettes, or food science topics. We like to include lots of photos to keep it interesting.
- Volunteers to contribute to the NWFM blog.
Special Events Outreach
(Hours depend on events)
NWFM regularly appears at community events such as parades and festivals. Our community event set up is similar to the info tent and the focus is on letting people know about the market.
- Volunteers need to be interested in speaking with people in a friendly and engaging manner, and educating them on what NWFM offers.
- Must be available weekends and evenings throughout the summer & winter.