The Royal City Farmers Market is looking for an Assistant Market Manager to join our market team starting in 2016.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to utilize their strong skills in communication, leadership, and most importantly, share your love of promoting sustainable, local products with the community! The RCFM sees thousands of visitors come through the market to pick up fresh produce, grab a delicious meal or coffee, or buy handcrafted items, and contributing to the community in New Westminster. RCFM, now in its 9th year, is New Westminster’s only farmers market and is a member of the BC Association of Farmers Markets.
This is a part-time employee position. Compensation is $15/hour. Hours range from 30 hours per month in the winter, to 55 hours per month in the summer. Start date would be on or before April 16th, 2016.
To apply, please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com by April 4th, 2016.
Duties and Responsibilities
Onsite Market Activities
The Assistant Market Manager will be busiest on Market Day.
- Set-up and tear-down with the Operations Manager.
- Create an attractive display for the Merchandise Table and Info Tent for summer markets
- Set up and tear-down of Marquee Tent in the winter
- Represent the organization for the duration of the market as the key person at the Merchandise Table in the summer. Duties include:
- Selling products and memberships, processing credit cards, keeping an accurate float, and reaching sales goals set by the Operations Manager.
- Providing information to customers.
Outside of market hours, the Assistant Market Manager will coordinate volunteers and assist with recruitment.
- Most of this work is via email, but sometimes you’ll need to call.
- Accurately track volunteers’ information, including the hours they work, and scheduling the volunteers, including for events outside of market days.
- Supply high school student volunteers with confirmation letters (template provided).
Our Assistant Market Manager is in charge of our monthly Member Workshops.
- Manage workshops through Eventbrite, so an understanding of Eventbrite is an asset. Training would be provided for the right candidate.
- Identify vendors to lead future workshops, and work with them to make sure the workshops scheduled are advertised correctly.
There is some online reporting the Assistant Market Manager will be responsible for.
- Report weekly on and process coupons from the BC Association of Farmers Market’s Nutrition Coupon Program including
- Counting and double-checking the number of coupons, packaging and mailing them, and reporting on the numbers.
- Provide brief, summary data to be entered into internal systems for RCFM.
Twice per year, before each market season, we review our vendors’ insurance documentation and submit copies to the City of New Westminster. The assistant manager is responsible for this.
- Gather paperwork and submit to a city contact person.
- Coordinate occasionally with vendors and their insurance brokers to get exact wording on the insurance documents.
We have a number of ways we reach out to the community and the Assistant Market Manager is a valuable member of the team that takes care of these tasks.
- Primary personresponsible for writing and deploying our monthly newsletter via MailChimp,
- Conduct customer or vendor surveys for feedback.
- Submit “What’s at the Market” form to the service in advance of each market, and adding any collected email addresses to the newsletter list.
Special Events & Community Outreach
RCFM participates in a number of community outreach and special events.
Actively seek out community outreach events to promote the market, attend or secure volunteers to attend, and workwith various collaborators in the community.
A few times a year, RCFM participates in “pocket” or “mini” markets which are small markets where either vendors attend and RCFM has an info table, or RCFM sells vendor products on their behalf at a small event.
- Display set-up and tear-down
- Collect fees from vendors if necessary
- Manage the “info booth” part of the event
- Coordinate with event leaders, Fraser Health and the City.
The Assistant Market Manager will be trained to be capable of taking over operations on a market day in the event of vacation or illness of the Operations Manager.
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs.
- Must own a computer or have access to a computer with and have an understanding of email, Microsoft Excel, and using the Internet.
- Have a valid Driver’s License and have access to a vehicle.
- Must be or must be willing to become Food Safe Certified.
- Standard/CPR First Aid training is an asset.
- Must be legally able to work in British Columbia.
To apply, please email a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 4th, 2016.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.