This Sunday, May 15, will mark the 15th Plant Sale put on by the New Westminster Horticultural Society. The event will take place at The Armoury — 530 Queen’s Avenue (corner of Queen’s Avenue and 6th Street) — and promises to have a variety of excellent plants to choose from. The sale features both local and rare plants, and new this year will be a plant collector’s booth (featuring rare and uncommon plants) and items from the New Westminster Parks collection.
Eating flowers is not generally the first thing that comes to mind when going to a plant sale, but this recipe for a Nasturtiums and Raspberry Vinaigrette Salad from Canada’s Food Network certainly puts things in perspective.
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup peanut or grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 large handfuls of mixed greens
- 6 nasturtium blossoms
1) Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and honey with a fork. Gradually whisk in the oil. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add a handful of raspberries.
2) Put all the ingredients except the salt and pepper in the blender. Purée into a smooth red dressing. Taste, and season with salt and pepper. Makes about 1/2 cup/125 ml.
3) Mix the vinaigrette. Put the greens in a salad bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Strew the blossoms over and serve immediately.